Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Asparagus Tomato Salad

Did anyone try the Grecian Chicken salad that I posted back in March? I hope someone did, because it is so delicious. I made another one of my favorite recipes the other week, took a picture, and forgot to make a post about it (typical me). I first came across this recipe at the "Taste of Home Cooking School" in May. I decided that I had to try it, and I fell in love (so did my mom). She brought it to every family get together this summer. Without further ado...

Asparagus Tomato Salad

1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
1 small zucchini, halved and cut into 1/4 inch slices
1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes
1/4 cup sliced green onions
1/4 cup minced fresh flat leaf (italian) parsley
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/4 cup fresh shredded parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons sunflower kernels, toasted (optional)

Place the asparagus and zucchini in a steamer basket; place in a suacepan over 1 inch of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam for 2 minutes (3-4 minutes if more tender vegetable desired). Rinse in cold water.

In a large bowl, combine the asparagus, zucchini,tomatoes, onions and parsley.

In a small bowl, whisk the oil, vinegar, garlic, seasoned salt and mustard. Pour over asparagus mixture and toss to coat. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and sunflower kernels if desired. Chill.
Enjoy!

1 comment:

Rebekah said...

I remember this salad from summer picnics. Gooood! Thanks for the recipe.