Thursday, July 29, 2010

Books

I can't wait for the 24th of August, the third book in the Hunger Game series, "The Mockingjay" is being released on that date... the bummer part is I will be on a wait list at the library to read it (gotta love having a budget, or else I would buy it!). In the meanwhile, I am trying to find some good books to read. I have most recently finished reading "The Simeon Solution" and found it inspiring and uplifting. I found the concept of the solution very helpful, to have faith as Simeon from the Bible, who waited his whole life in anticipation of witnessing, with his own eyes, the Savior of the World in flesh. His faith was simple, and unwavering. He was promised that he wouldn't die without seeing Christ, and he believed in that promise, and looked forward to that day. It was a wholesome book, and I enjoyed how she used experiences from her own life to illustrate her points.
Right now I am trying (key word) to read "The Scarlet Pimpernel". I love the movie (introduced to me many years ago by my cousins Sarah and Rachel), but haven't been hooked by the book yet. I'm not going to give up... If I made it through 1000 pages plus of Les Miserables (which I did enjoy), then I can make it through this! Recently I tried to read "The Chocoalate Wars" but just couldn't overlook an underlying theme of sexuality... although it wasn't pervasive or provocative, I just wasn't enjoying it so much, and decided not to finish it.
I read "The Secret Life of Bee's" and enjoyed it, for the most part. The only part of it that weirded me out, for lack of a better term, was the worshiping the Mary, the mother of Jesus. The other book, along with "Mockingjay", that I really want to read is "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett. I have been on hold at the library to read it for 3 months, no kidding. If the hold is that long, it has to be a good book right? At least, that is what I keep telling myself. What are ya'll reading now? I know that a lot of my readers are avid book junkies... also for lack of a better term:)

4 comments:

Trevor & Kirsten said...

Oh my goodness I'm so excited for Mockingjay!! I just started reading them and I can't wait for the third one to come out already. I love having a discount at the bookstore on campus though!

keith moore said...

I am curently reading the series of A banner is unfurled and also the bookabout the only lds family in russia during the preliminary to WW@. Good books. Love to read.

The Hoffmans said...

thanks for the recommendations tiff! i have been waiting to borrow the hunger game series from a friend for awhile now, but no luck. maybe i'll save up my play money and just buy them! i NEED books to read, i NEED some 'me' time! =) happy reading!

Rebekah said...

Good move not finishing "the Chocolate War." I really didn't like that one. I respected the premise about the coursge and cost it takes to stand up to a corrupt establishment, but it just left me with a bad feeling probably due to the sexuality and the ending. I haven't read much else lately. It is very hard to find the time. I would like to read some of the others you mentioned. I've heard a lot about The Help and the Hunger Games. The last book I read was the Lady Queen. If you like history that is a good one.