Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Birthday cake experiment...

So, here is the experiment... Brandon's cake for his 1st birthday. Mike and I record a series on the Food Network called Ace of Cakes, and we get a kick out of the work that they do (not to mention that it is really funny!) We decided that we wanted to make our own cake and use fondant instead of regular icing. I baked an almond white cake, carved it into a number one, and then we lightly frosted it as a glue for the fondant. Mike made the fondant and we worked as a team to get it onto the cake. I think for first-time fondant users, we did ok. Over all it was a great experience! I will get on soon in the next few days and share pictures and tell about Brandon's first Birthday celebration. Have a great weekend!!!

9 comments:

Rebekah said...

Wow, you guys are adventurous cake bakers. How fun! And so cool that you guys two made it together. I think you did a great job! It's very cute. Definitely not a "Cake Wreck." have you seen that blog? It's pretty funny. Congrats to Brandon on his 1st birthday, too.

Rebekah said...

Hmm, guess I got excited and posted before erasing "guys" when I changed it to "two." I just hate it when I do that.

Anonymous said...

That is a fun cake! I want to learn how to do that frosting. You guys will have to teach me! Happpy Birthday!

Unknown said...

Brandon's cake turned out adoable! It looks so professional too! Great job team Matusek! :) Was it a marshmallow fondant? How did Brandon like it?

Mike & Marla said...

Happy Birthday Brandon...your cake decorating skills are awesome Matuseks!

Trevor & Kirsten said...

Wow that is sure impressive!

Kelli and Derek Hill said...

Woo HOo! very nice. I think cake decorating would be the most funnest skill of all!

The Hoffmans said...

The cake looks awesome! Good job!! Fondant scares me to death, so good job on being brave (well, how i see it). =) I can't believe Brandon is already one! Has it really been a year already? Crazy! Hope all is well with you and the family.

Teri said...

We love that show too. They crack me up! :) The cake looks awsome. You did a great job...and Halloween looked so fun at your place! Great company!...Looked like so fun! :)