Thursday, May 21, 2009

Crocheting and Making Baby Food

Heaven bless my mother, for she passed the love of crocheting down to me. Although I am not as advanced in this art as she, it is still a joy to create something beautiful out of a ball of yarn. Blankets have been the only projects that I have dabbled in, unfortunately. I just finished this baby blanket for my friend Angie Hoffman's little baby girl, Karlie. She is going to be blessed this weekend in Rexburg and luckily I finally have it finished. 
My other project that I have worked on this week is making baby food. I just thought I would share how much I save by making my own. So I bought this 32 oz. bag of frozen peas at Walmart for $1.94. After cooking the peas on the stovetop, I pureed them in my blender, adding some of the cooking water in to get the desired consistency. I strained the peas and then separated them into ice cube trays and froze them. From that one bag I got 33 pea cubes, and each cube is about 1 oz. or 1 serving for a young baby (for an older baby 2 cubes would be a serving). 

The price per ounce to make homemade peas is $0.06 and the price per ounce for Gerber peas is approximately $0.38. If a baby were to eat one ounce of homemade peas for a whole year it would cost $21.90 and it would cost about $138.70 if he ate one ounce of Gerber peas for a year. Anyways, I took some pics of the process of making baby food...
It may take some time but you same TONS of money when you make it yourself! When I first started making baby food for Kimball in 2007, I got the best information off of this website: www.wholesomebabyfood.com. Well, what are everyone's plans for the holiday weekend? Our family is going to be chilling in Rexburg all weekend, and we are even going camping! I'm excited...

2 comments:

Kelli and Derek Hill said...

I absolutely LOVE that blankie! you'll have to share the pattern with me it is so cute! and I must say I have never heard of Pea ice cubes. Does the baby eat the ice cubes? or do you thaw them or something... that is probably a really dumb question.

Rebekah said...

I've always wanted to make my own baby food. Another thing on my list of goals for when I no longer work outside the home, which will hopefully be while Alex is still eating baby food. And since I will no longer be working, I will need to do those money saving home projects. As things are now I feel good if I can get the house moderately clean and get to spend some good quality time with the kids after work and on weekends. Thank heavens for Grandma Gwynnie.